Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Tips for choosing a topic
- The assignment should be a learning experience. Choose a topic that you would like to learn more about, not one that you know a lot about already. Use the topic suggestion sheets provided by your instructors as a starting point. Broad subjects usually need to be narrowed down to certain aspects of the topic. As you do some research, topic ideas will present themselves, so keep an open mind.
- Browse for a topic in some of the magazines on 2nd floor. We have these technology magazines: Online, PC World, Consumer Reports, and OfficePro in print, but news and business magazines also have technology sections. For example, a recent issue of Time has "the wireless issue" on its cover. (week of 8-27-12)
- Open Academic Search Complete, an all-topic collection of magazines and journals, and type in a topic. See what articles are available from technology magazines (such as PC World ComputerWorld, eWeek, Online), and any of the news and business magazines.
- If you'd prefer to browse a specific magazine online, use "A to Z", our list of all magazines and journals available online. Type the name of a magazine (such as PC World, ComputerWorld, eWeek, Online, Consumer Reports). Click the link to open the database and click the most recent year on the far right. Browse issues for topic ideas. Or you can do a search in that specific magazine from that screen. Click "Search within this publication."
- Browse in a technology encyclopedia. A good one is Encyclopedia of Computer Science and Technology (2009), located in reference at QA 76.15 H43. Another one is McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology (2007) in Reference at Q 121 .M3.
Monday-Tuesday: 7:30 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Wednesday -Friday: 7:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Saturday: 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Monday-Thursday: 7:30 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Friday: 7:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Monday-Friday: 7:30 a.m. - 5 p.m